Thursday, February 2, 2012

Kamikaze

In three days, a rematch between the New York Giants and New England Patriots of Homeric proportions will be staged in Indianapolis. Super Bowl Sunday, and no matter who wins, tales will be forged in the mouths of the fans of both teams that will be told until they die. The Super Bowl, an ultimately arbitrary happening, contends with and probably more often blights major disasters and war in overall new coverage. And I couldn't care less.

That's not accurate, I care. I care about the visceral experiences of snack eating, excessive drinking and yelling that elite athletes in their prime attempting feats on the biggest possible stage that would kill me if ever attempted by me... suck. I care about it because its fun, but the investment is non-existent.  Today a friend of mine asked who I wanted to win, and I came up short by half-assedly giving some forgettable bullshit about rooting for underdogs. Frankly, the pedantic grooming attributed to Super Bowl marketing irritates the shit out of me, and only serves to water itself down.

This a sports blog, and only kind of. I am a grumpy, impatient baseball fan who has thus far only written objective analysis in an attempt to seem professional. That got exhausting so now I'm going to write flailing opinion pieces ranting about what I think is so goddamn wrong all the time or how awesome something is. I'm not going to be too intellectual about it, I'm not going to go to deep. I figured I'd start by undermining any notion of integrity someone may have in me as a writer about sports by talking about how dumb The Super Bowl is. 

Take note: this is a clumsily written intro about what I'm going to attempt to do with this blog. Usually I won't start writing an hour before I have to go to work, but inspiration sparked me and I decided to not take it for granted. Spring training is just around the corner. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment